Hygienic Hexagonal Solutions
Brewery Floors, Dairy Floors, or floors in other food and beverage production have to be clean. Especially in these application areas there are some main challenges for floors:
· durability / longevity
· easy and cost effective cleaning and maintenance
· permanent chemical resistance
· dense floor. The penetration of liquids must be avoided to prevent the subsurface and building from damage.
· durable tread safety of the floor for accident prevention
Negative experiences with tile floors?
Years ago floor coverings made from tiles had the main problem of a „wide joint“:
· traffic causes impacts on joints when the joints are wide and deeper than the tiles. Over time cracks on tile chamfers appear (do you have noise in traffic areas? Your joints are too wide!)
· wide joints are deeper than the tiles. Waste water looks for the easiest way to the drains, it will follow the deeper joint. Since the joint is not as resistant as the tile is, the joint washes out in wet areas – hygienic problems result.
· tiles of bigger formats such as 20x20 or 30x30 cm have bigger size tolerances. Due to this these tiles have to be laid with wider joints. To prevent edge lipping, big sized tiles have to be cut diagonally in sloped areas – the result is very often the one mentioned before, as waste water runs through the joints again.
The solution is: hexagon!
Hexagonal tiles can be laid around gullies, drains and channels without cutting – due to their small and almost round shape. As hexagonal tiles are perfectly size accurate, they can be installed butt-jointed (with a joint of 2-2,5 mm only) – all hexagonal tiles have a so-called “spacer” to keep the right distance between each other. Modern hexagonal tiles are dry-pressed porcelain, fully vitrified. The whole body is absolutely dense, meaning not only the surface is protected. Due to this, the tile is permanently hygienic and stain resistant. Waste water remains on the tile and looks for the direct way over the tile to the drains – not through the joints as in previous times.
The whole floor and building is therefore perfectly protected from chemical loads – durable!
All advantages at a glance:
· Higher mechanical, thermal and chemical load capability
· The hexagonal shape allows perfect sloping in wet areas. Waste water from production looks for the shortest way to the drains.
· The prefabricated spacers (distance holders) make a narrow joint and a perfect bond of the tiles to each other.
· Different tread safeties allow the use of tiles in different application areas – from dry to wet and oily areas.
· When tiles are installed with a vibration machine during laying, the floor is absolutely even – easy and cost effective cleaning and highest possible point load capacity are achieved.
· The hexagonal shape gives edge protection. Traffic is moving in acute angles over the tiles in more than 90 percent.
· Cleaning by steam cleaner without negative effects.
· Temperature resistance to over 100°C
· Repairs are possible at smallest areas without causing a visible defect.
· Absolute resistant to abrasion
· Absolute stain resistant
· Machines and facilities of high weights stand safely and reliably on hexagonal tile floors